Travel Restrictions and visa requirements
Important note about connecting flights: If any of your flights transits through another country please check all entry requirements for each flight segment. Select "one way" and enter each flight segment separately to view all relevant entry and transit travel requirements for your trip.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO CHINA
(Updated March 2019)
PREPARING FOR YOUR TRIP
As you prepare to embark on your upcoming Affordable World journey, please log on to your My Affordable account and click on your trip confirmation ID to review the most up to date trip details including hotel information, flight schedules, and ticket number(s). Please make sure you have all travel documents, passports, and necessary visas ready before you depart for your trip.
CHECKING IN AT THE AIRPORT
Be sure to bring your passport as you will need to present it when checking in at the airport. Please be advised not all airlines assign seats in advance. Some airlines assign seats at the airport during check-in. We recommend all travellers arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to the flight departure time. You will receive boarding passes at the airline counter when you check in for your flight.
UPON ARRIVAL IN CHINA
Please go through Customs and Immigrations on your own. (144-hour Beijing or Shanghai Transit Visa Exemption passengers – please complete the 144-hour visa free application form upon arrival in Beijing and proceed to the designated 144-hour visa free line). After you pick up your luggage, exit the baggage claim area and look for the Affordable World representative holding an Affordable World flag or sign. Please wear your Affordable World badge for easy identification.
Airport Transfers upon Arrival
Affordable World tour guides/airport assistants will wait for arriving tour members outside the airport baggage claim area for up to 90 minutes** after the landing time of the tour member's flight before departing from the airport with transportation to the hotel. If for any reason a tour member does not meet the Affordable World representative within 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight, the tour member will be responsible for his or her own transportation from the airport to the hotel, along with all associated expenses.
**90 minute wait time does not apply for those travelling on tour codes ATB, AJB, ATKB, ATAV, ATKV
Land Only & Extended Stay Travelers
Land only packages do not include airport transfers. Please arrange your own airport transfer to the hotel in Beijing as listed in your travel documents. The tour guide will leave information for you at the hotel regarding the time of the meeting the next day. Airport transfers out are not included for those who have chosen to extend their stay in China at the end of the tour. If you have purchased an airport transfer service from us, please be sure to provide all flight information to Affordable World prior to your trip departure date.
PASSPORTS, VISAS & TRAVEL DOCUMENTS
· Passports must be valid for 6 months from the return date of your trip
· A China visa is required for all tourists entering China. Visa must be obtained prior to arrival in China.
· 144-hour Beijing Transit Visa Exemption: Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) and Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG) have implemented the 144-hour Transit Visa Exemption policy for foreign nationals of 53 countries. Such foreign nationals must hold valid international travel documents and passenger tickets (by air/train/ship) of confirmed travel dates and confirmed seats to a third country (or region such as HKG/MFM/Taiwan). Nationals of the below 53 countries can enjoy the 144-hour transit visa exemption.
o 24 Schengen countries in Europe: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherland, Poland, Portugal, Slovak, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
o 15 other European countries: Russia, Great Britain, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Republic of Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Monaco, Belarus.
o 6 American countries: The United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
o 2 Oceania countries: Australia and New Zealand.
o 6 Asian countries: Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
In addition to the above criteria, the following conditions will apply for the 144-hour visa free transit exemption:
o Passengers must hold an onward ticket with a confirmed seat and date as well as a valid visa (if required) to a third country or region within 144 hours
o Passengers are required to enter from an eligible transit port; passengers must also leave for a third country from one of the eligible transit ports
o Passengers with the 144-hour transit visa exemption must stay within the administrative region of Beijing or Shanghai but cannot leave for other cities during this time. The stay shall not exceed 144 hours
It is important to note that both Beijing and Shanghai are eligible for the 144-hour transit policy, but travellers may only have one between the original country and the third country
· If you are transiting in Beijing or Shanghai under 144 hours and are holding a passport from one of the 53 applicable countries, please fill out the 144-hour visa free application form upon arrival in Beijing or Shanghai and proceed to the designated 144-hour visa free line. (*Please have your forms filled out before you reach the counter. You will be sent back to the end of the line if your forms are not completed in advance*)
· If you are staying past 144 hours or are holding a passport from a country that is not applicable for the 144-hour transit visa exemption, you will need to obtain a China Visa prior to your trip departure
· We have partnered with Visa Central to offer a fast and easy way to obtain a visa, passport and other documents for your Affordable World vacation. Please visit www.visacentral.com/aw and select your tour to obtain more information
· It is the responsibility of the traveller to obtain a China visa in a timely manner. If you are going to another country including Hong Kong after the trip and re-entering China afterwards, you will require a double entry visa which is available upon request
· Hong Kong entry permit: US citizens must have a valid passport, but no visa is required for a stay of up to 90 days
· For detailed passport and visa requirements, all travellers are advised to check with their related embassy or consulate
· If you are holding a non US passport, please check with your embassy or consulate in your jurisdiction for China travel requirements
· For those who have purchased the Forbidden City optional tour in Beijing – your passport is required for entry. Please note if your passport does not match the passport information on file for your reservation, you will be denied entry at the Forbidden City and your optional tour will be non-refundable.
CHINA (144 HOUR TRANSIT)